Sunday, August 7, 2016

Revitalized Unit

     The process of revitalizing my "World Issues: Asia Unit" was an awesome opportunity and use of time for the coming school year.  I love assignments where I get the opportunity through the course to utilize what I have learned, for the betterment of my course and ultimately student engagement and learning.  It can be overwhelming to think about implementing a bunch of changes at one time to the courses you teach, but through thinking through how you would apply these teaching models to one unit, provided an avenue to make the process manageable.  I am excited to start teaching this unit making the transition from direct instruction to more guided instruction through all of the different teaching models I have chosen.  It was amazing to me, that as I thought through my different goals and activities to achieve those goals in my World Issues class, and through the Asia unit specifically, I was able to find much better ways to achieve those goals, and many times, the teaching models allowed me to exceed my goals and meet more than one.
     As a result of my completed "Revitalized Unit" I now have a road map to engage my students from the very beginning through introducing the content of the unit with Suchman's Inquiry, identify and solve problems through Creative Problem Solving, organize their evidence through Concept Development, and form an analysis through Cause and Effect. The best part, is if those initial teaching models are not the right fit for the class I am teaching, I have two other models for each one to meet the same goals in a different way.  I feel like I am heading back to school with more tools in my teacher arsenal, than I ever have before!  Thank you Dr. Grant!

No comments:

Post a Comment